Showing The Area Burned During The Fire of 1882
Rare separately published view of Gardiner and Pittston, Maine, published by JJ Stoner and lithographed by D. Bremner & Company in Milwaukee.
The map shows a pair of bustling towns on the Kennebec River, where the River intersects with the Cobbosse Conte. In addition, an area outlined around Bridge Street at the lower part of the Cobbosse Conte includes an area outline in red pen, locating the area burned by fire, which led to the creation of the local municipal water service. The newly formed Gardiner Water Company was chartered in 1885. Created to provide water to Gardiner, Randolph, Farmingdale and Pittston, the company pulled water from Cobbossee Stream and pumped it to a reservoir constructed on the hill overlooking the stream. From the reservoir, water traveled by hand laid cast iron main lines to the downtown area.
Bremner & Co. printed a number of views for JJ Stoner, including Bird's Eye View of Dover, Strafford Co., New Hampshire (1877) and Bird’s Eye View of Portsmouth, Rockingham Co. New Hampshire (1877).
Gardiner and Pittston are located at the headwaters of Kennebec River. Gardiner is named for its founder, Dr. Silvester Gardiner. The town rose to importance in the early 19th century as a center for shipbuilding and lumber transit. Later, the town would also become famous as an exporter of Kennebec Ice.