Sign In

- Or use -
Forgot Password Create Account
Description

18th Century Hydrological Engineering Plan for the Sankt Georgen area, Đurđevac, Croatia

Finely executed map of the area around the area around the parish of Sankt Georgen, in Đurđevac, Koprivnica-Križevci, near the border between Hungary and Croatia.

Sanct Georgen was built by the Bishop of Pécs, most probably around 1488. The town, or fort, was built on high ground in the middle of a swamp to the north of the town of Đurđevac in Croatia, because of the threat of the Turkish, and constant conflicts between the nobility. 

The map shows a late 18th Century hydrological engineering plan of the area around Đurđevac, which notes that it was drawn and designed by Augustin von Mayerberg.  The plan examines the prospects of draining the "Morast", which was then overgrown with brush and bushes and unpassable in the wettest years. The plan shows the prospect for drainage canals and other plans for channeling the waters in what was a marshy area west of the Drava River.

Oriented with northeast at the top and located just west of the Drava River, the map captures the the southeastern part of Koprivnica-Križevci, including the towns of Molve, Wirie (Virje), Kalinovac and the curiously unnamed Đurđevac, which is depicted in large scale.

The Koprivnica-Križevci County borders on the Međimurje County in the north, Varaždin County in the northwest, Zagreb County in the southwest, Bjelovar-Bilogora County in the south, Virovitica-Podravina County in the southeast and Hungary in the east.

Augustin von Mayerberg

There were several possible makers, but the most likely seems to be an Augustin von Mayerberg who was serving as a Captain and seems to have drawn a map of the area in 1783.  We find the following quote in  Austria. Statistische Zentralkommission, 1884 (p.409).

Eine vom hauptmanne Augustin von Mayerberg gezeichnete, in der der Karten-abtheilung des k.k. Kreigsarchivs befindliche Diocesankarte des Warasdiner Generalats aus der Zeit um 1783 enthalt die Augabe, das damals im Kreutzer Regimente 15.061, im St. Georger 16.459 Griechisch-Glaubige lebten.

Translation:  On a map drawn by Hauptmanne Augustin von Mayerberg, located in the map department of the k.k. The Diocesan map of the Warasdin Generalate from around 1783, which is in the War Archives, contains the publication that at that time 15,061 Greek believers lived in the Kreutzer region and 16,459 in the St. Georger [region].