Detailed map of South Carolina, showing the routes, railroads, and settlements in the state, though it also locates various other features including rivers, canals, and even swamps. The names and outlines of the counties as they stood at the time are shown. The adjoining states of North Carolina and Georgia are portrayed in part. Fort Jackson has been added to the east of Savannah in Georgia.
The map includes a detailed inset map of Charleston showing the layout of this city at the confluence of the Ashley and Cooper Rivers. This inset shows a large area around Charleston, out to Sullivan Island and Morris's. Particular note is paid to military installments and railroads.
G. W. & C. B. Colton was a prominent family firm of mapmakers who were leaders in the American map trade in the nineteenth century. The business was founded by Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800-1893) who bought copyrights to existing maps and oversaw their production. By the 1850s, their output had expanded to include original maps, guidebooks, atlases, and railroad maps. Joseph was succeeded by his sons, George Woolworth (1827-1901) and Charles B. Colton (1831-1916). The firm was renamed G. W. & C. B. Colton as a result. George is thought responsible for their best-known work, the General Atlas, originally published under that title in 1857. In 1898, the brothers merged their business and the firm became Colton, Ohman, & Co., which operated until 1901, when August R. Ohman took on the business alone and dropped the Colton name.