Hand colored chromolithographic view of Ute Pass, Colorado, promoting the Peter Schuttler Wagon Company of Chicago, Illinois.
The line of wagons going up the hill to the right appear to have been taken directly from a stereo view published in about 1875-1880 by Thurlow of Manitou Springs. The wagons can be seen at the right winding down to the valley floor, where a makeshift saw mill and tent village have sprung up, with a long wagon train, with covered wagons marked "Schuttler Wagon." A buckboard to the left bears the same identification and painted on a large boulder is "The Old Reliable Schuttler Wagon."
The Schuttler Company of Chicago was founded by German emigrant Peter Schuttler, who arrived in America in 1834. After working for a time in Sandusky, Ohio, Schuttler moved to Chicago in 1843, where he began his own business. With the demand for heavy vehicles for western migration following the Gold Rush, the company boomed and Schuttler became one of the leading wagon makers in the country. Following his death in 1865, his son Peter continued the business and by 1910, Peter Schuttler III was running the company until its final demise in the mid-1920s
There are two different versions of the map, one bearing the imprint of Clay & Company of Buffalo (or possibly both Buffalo and Chicago) and the other Achert & Hinckel of Cincinnati.