Sign In

- Or use -
Forgot Password Create Account

Later edition of Augustus Chevalier's map of San Francisco for the 1915 World's Fair, showing the city south to its border with Daly City and the fairgrounds on the north shore between the Presidio Reservation and Fort Mason, in the present-day Marine District. Numerous cable car and streetcar lines are shown.

The 1915 World's Fair, or the Panama-Pacific International Exhibition, was intended to celebrate the 1913 completion of the Panama Canal and first proposed  in 1904, before the United States was officially granted permission by Panama build it. The canal shortened the route from New York to San Francisco by 8,000 miles, reducing travel time by half. The fairgrounds were built on artificial fill, some of it rubble from the earthquake. A centerpiece of the fair, the Tower of Jewels is marked facing the corner of Chestnut and Scott Streets.

Condition Description
Two short splits (3/4" and 1/4") on bottom margin. Minor soiling at mid-left and mid-right margin. Crossfolds with general use, some with pinholes. Street directory on verso. Folding map with original covers. Cover with stain.