Huge original antique map of northern Israel, showing the results of the Condor and Kitchener expedition of 1881 and republished just as Britain was about to occupy the region.
The map stretches from Tyre in the north down through the Dead Sea and Gaza, showing the Sea of Galilee, Haifa, Jaffa, and Jerusalem. Detail is extensive, with topography, roads, villages, and more all shown. Detail stops at the Jordan River, consistent with the extent of the Condor and Kitchener expedition.
As a major part of the Palestine Exploration Fund Survey of Palestine, the Condor and Kitchener expedition was an important turning point in the mapping of Palestine. The Condor and Kitchener portion of the expedition was the most important point, as they mapped the entire region west of the Jordan River in great detail, earning their report the name "Survey of Western Palestine." This was the first scientific mapping of Palestine.
As the most detailed survey of Palestine to date, the War Office reissued this map in 1917, in the same year that British forces occupied Gaza and Jerusalem. This map was produced with this conquest in mind. Following the war, Palestine became a British Protectorate.