Original antique map of the province Swabia, in southern Germany, published by Nicolas Sanson in Paris. This is a 1703 state of the map which was originally published in the mid-17th century.
The map is highly detailed in Sanson's French School style, containing large amounts of information but remaining simple and aesthetic in its decorative tendencies. Forests, towns, cities, roads, and more are all shown. Cities shown include Basel, Stuttgart, Wirtenberg, Augsburg, and Heidelberg.
The map includes a decorative cartouche in the lower left, a scale bar in the upper right, and a legend for all the different types of towns shown, describing the different types of cities including Imperial Cities and military "comanderies."
Nicholas Sanson (1600-1667) is considered the father of French cartography in its golden age from the mid-seventeenth century to the mid-eighteenth. Over the course of his career he produced over 300 maps; they are known for their clean style and extensive research. Sanson was largely responsible for beginning the shift of cartographic production and excellence from Amsterdam to Paris in the later-seventeenth century.
Sanson was born in Abbeville in Picardy. He made his first map at age twenty, a wall map of ancient Gaul. Upon moving to Paris, he gained the attention of Cardinal Richelieu, who made an introduction of Sanson to King Louis XIII. This led to Sanson's tutoring of the king and the granting of the title ingenieur-geographe du roi.
His success can be chalked up to his geographic and research skills, but also to his partnership with Pierre Mariette. Early in his career, Sanson worked primarily with the publisher Melchior Tavernier. Mariette purchased Tavernier’s business in 1644. Sanson worked with Mariette until 1657, when the latter died. Mariette’s son, also Pierre, helped to publish the Cartes générales de toutes les parties du monde (1658), Sanson' atlas and the first French world atlas.