A flawless old color example of the modern map of the Holy Land, from the 2nd edition of the Ulm Ptolemy, the first atlas printed north of the Alps. The first and second editions can be differentiated most readily from the use of a golden brown for the water in the 2nd edition, rather than the dark blue used in the first edition. The map is oriented with East at the top and sshows the whole of Palestine on both sides of the Jordan, divided into the 12 tribes. The shore line runs from Sidon to Gaza. South of a fantasy Carmel Mountain there is a big island, called the Castle of the Pilgrims (Atlit), and a similar but smaller island, north of Jaffa, called Assur. The Carmel Mountain is misshapen. The Jordan River in its wide meanderings is shown in a thin line. The map is based upon a modern map by Petrus Vesconte, published in manuscript form by Marino Sanuto, ca. 1320, and updated by Donnus Nicholaus Germanaus in 1482. The map includes several notable improvements in the original Sanuto model, which are described in Nebenzahl. Germanus first issued the maps in manuscript versions of the Ptolemy Atlas, issued in 1466 and 1474 and later in the printed editions of Rome (1478) and Ulm (1482 and 1486). They are considered the first modern maps of the Holy Land and landmarks in the history of the printed maps of the Holy Land. An essential map for Holy Land collectors. This example is in exceptional condition, with wide margins. No appearances in dealer catalogues since 1988.