Fine example of a late state of Nicolas Sanson's double-page engraved map of the northern part of Lower Saxony, originally published in Paris in the middle of the 17th-century and here reissued in 1690.
The map stretches from the North Sea near the outflow of the Elbe River to central Germany, showing Wittenberg near Berlin. The map names Hamburg, Bremen, and Hanover.
Detail on the map is extensive, with many rivers, forests, cities, towns, and other geographical features shown. A cartouche in the upper right shows French decorative elements of the era.
Nicholas Sanson (1600-1667) is considered the father of French cartography in its golden age from the mid-seventeenth century to the mid-eighteenth. Over the course of his career he produced over 300 maps; they are known for their clean style and extensive research. Sanson was largely responsible for beginning the shift of cartographic production and excellence from Amsterdam to Paris in the later-seventeenth century.
Sanson was born in Abbeville in Picardy. He made his first map at age twenty, a wall map of ancient Gaul. Upon moving to Paris, he gained the attention of Cardinal Richelieu, who made an introduction of Sanson to King Louis XIII. This led to Sanson's tutoring of the king and the granting of the title ingenieur-geographe du roi.
His success can be chalked up to his geographic and research skills, but also to his partnership with Pierre Mariette. Early in his career, Sanson worked primarily with the publisher Melchior Tavernier. Mariette purchased Tavernier’s business in 1644. Sanson worked with Mariette until 1657, when the latter died. Mariette’s son, also Pierre, helped to publish the Cartes générales de toutes les parties du monde (1658), Sanson' atlas and the first French world atlas.