The Best Antiquarian Map of Greenwich, Connecticut.
A superb example of this mammoth wall map of Greenwich and Stamford, Connecticut, published in New York by Miller Robbins Jr. & Co. in 1890.
The map covers the majority of present-day Greenwich and Stamford at plot- and building-level detail. In the north, the map is roughly bounded by Clapboard Ridge Road in Greenwich and Eden Road in Stamford. In the east, it is bounded by the Noroton River. In the west, the map just covers Port Chester. Hundreds of plots are named with their 19th-century owners, with houses and outbuildings shown in outline. Streets, creeks, and rivers are rendered in detail. Some of the largest properties have more detail shown, such as "Alta Crest" owned by E.H. Johnson. Smaller villages are named, such as Pemberwick, Glenville, and Riversville.
The map illustrates stores, dwellings, barns, stables, and outbuildings, gas mains, water mains, sewers, steam railroads, horsecar railroads, public, private, and proposed roads, churches, school houses, cemeteries, factories and public buildings, etc.
Aspects of Greenwich history can be elucidated by what is shown on the map; for instance, on the map Greenwich Point is wholly owned by J. Kennedy Todd, resulting in the present-day name of Tods Driftway.
This is the largest and most detailed 19th-century map of Greenwich and Stamford of which we are aware. At over 70-inches-wide, it has enormous wall power.
Outside of the present map, we can find very little information about Miller Robbins Jr. and his cartographic exploits.
No complete copies list in RBH. We have never seen an example joined and presented as a wall map, such as this one; it is almost always encountered as four separate folding sheets with varying levels of toning and, in at least two cases, with sheets missing.
OCLC locates only 4 institutional examples: Yale University, Connecticut Historical, Greenwich Library, and the Clements.