France's Royal/Presidential Hunting Grounds
Finely colored map of the the Hunting Grounds of the Kings of France and the Presidents of the French Republic
The map was first issued in 1890.
The map's maker, Louis-Dieudonné Récopé (1845-1933) was then France's Inspector of Water and Forests.
The Forêt de Marly (known as the forêt de Cruye until the 18th century) is a 2000 hectare forest estate in Yvelines, between Saint-Germain-en-Laye and Versailles about 9 miles to the west of Paris. It is about 7.5 miles long east to west, over the communes of Louveciennes, Marly-le-Roi, Saint-Nom-la-Bretèche, Feucherolles and others.
Historically, it was a hunting estate of the kings of France, then of the presidents of the Republic.