Decorative map of the northwest coastal region of Spain, published by Blaeu.
The map is bounded by Ribadeo ("Rivadeo"), Lugo, Zamora ("Çamora"), Simancas, Valladolid, Palencia ("Palençia"), Lerma, Burgos, Laredo, and Santillana and centered on Astorga, León, Oviedo, Avilés and Villafranca ("Villa franca"). The map consists primarily of Asturias de Oviedo, Asturias de Santillana and Legio. It is interesting that the map mentions these two Asturias counties that existed between the 13th and 18th centuries.
The map also includes a compass rose and two decorative cartouches.
Willem Janszoon Blaeu (1571-1638) was a prominent Dutch geographer and publisher. Born the son of a herring merchant, Blaeu chose not fish but mathematics and astronomy for his focus. He studied with the famous Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe, with whom he honed his instrument and globe making skills. Blaeu set up shop in Amsterdam, where he sold instruments and globes, published maps, and edited the works of intellectuals like Descartes and Hugo Grotius. In 1635, he released his atlas, Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, sive, Atlas novus.
Willem died in 1638. He had two sons, Cornelis (1610-1648) and Joan (1596-1673). Joan trained as a lawyer, but joined his father’s business rather than practice. After his father’s death, the brothers took over their father’s shop and Joan took on his work as hydrographer to the Dutch East India Company. Later in life, Joan would modify and greatly expand his father’s Atlas novus, eventually releasing his masterpiece, the Atlas maior, between 1662 and 1672.