Scarce antique engraved Jaillot map of Poland, Lithuania, Ukraine, and part of Russia, first issued in the Atlas royal a l'usage de Monseigneur le Duc de Burgogne in 1695.
The map differs from Jaillot's other maps of Poland of a similar title, in that it has a much more ornate pair of cartouches. Extends south to Podolie.
The map is hand-colored by Duchy, and includes large areas for the Duchy of Lithuania, Samogitie, Curlande, etc.
Alexis-Hubert Jaillot (ca. 1632-1712) was one of the most important French cartographers of the seventeenth century. Jaillot traveled to Paris with his brother, Simon, in 1657, hoping to take advantage of Louis XIV's call to the artists and scientists of France to settle and work in Paris. Originally a sculptor, he married the daughter of Nicholas Berey, Jeanne Berey, in 1664, and went into partnership with Nicholas Sanson's sons. Beginning in 1669, he re-engraved and often enlarged many of Sanson's maps, filling in the gap left by the destruction of the Blaeu's printing establishment in 1672.