Large format and highly detailed map of Missouri, published by GW & CB Colton.
The map is hand colored by counties and shows roads, railroads, towns, villages, post offices, rivers, lakes, stations and a host of other details. Inset of St. Louis vicinity in upper right corner.
Large inset of the vicinity of St. Louis and plan of the eastern portion of Missouri.
G. W. & C. B. Colton was a prominent family firm of mapmakers who were leaders in the American map trade in the nineteenth century. The business was founded by Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800-1893) who bought copyrights to existing maps and oversaw their production. By the 1850s, their output had expanded to include original maps, guidebooks, atlases, and railroad maps. Joseph was succeeded by his sons, George Woolworth (1827-1901) and Charles B. Colton (1831-1916). The firm was renamed G. W. & C. B. Colton as a result. George is thought responsible for their best-known work, the General Atlas, originally published under that title in 1857. In 1898, the brothers merged their business and the firm became Colton, Ohman, & Co., which operated until 1901, when August R. Ohman took on the business alone and dropped the Colton name.