Scarce antique hand-colored lithographed map of the state of Minnesota, colored by counties. The map was produced by the Colton firm but is quite scarce because it only appears in their atlases in the mid-1860s, replacing a more common map that preceded it, and quickly being replaced by another configuration in the late 1860s.
The map shows towns, rivers, lakes, railroads (projected and completed), etc.
G. W. & C. B. Colton was a prominent family firm of mapmakers who were leaders in the American map trade in the nineteenth century. The business was founded by Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800-1893) who bought copyrights to existing maps and oversaw their production. By the 1850s, their output had expanded to include original maps, guidebooks, atlases, and railroad maps. Joseph was succeeded by his sons, George Woolworth (1827-1901) and Charles B. Colton (1831-1916). The firm was renamed G. W. & C. B. Colton as a result. George is thought responsible for their best-known work, the General Atlas, originally published under that title in 1857. In 1898, the brothers merged their business and the firm became Colton, Ohman, & Co., which operated until 1901, when August R. Ohman took on the business alone and dropped the Colton name.