Engraved antique map of Ireland, engraved by J.B. Tardieu, and published by Conrad Malte-Brun in Paris, 1812. The map divides Ireland into its four provinces, Connaught, Ulster, Leinster, and Munster. The map includes a delightful cartouche in the lower right which features the columnar basalt of the Giant's Causeway in County Antrim.
The four provinces of Ireland are themselves further divided into counties and these are all named. Numerous cities, towns, rivers, and coastal features are also named. Mountain chains are seen to criss-cross the island, and many swamps and loughs are present in the central and eastern parts.
At the time of the publication of this map, Ireland was beginning its Union period. Following the 1798 Irish Rebellion, where a republican group had attempted to follow in the footsteps of the French and American revolutions, the British imposed greater control over the island, beginning a long period of repression which would last through the 19th century.