Scarce pocket map of the eastern portion of Florida, published by J.H. Colton.
The map is divided by into counties and townships. There are certain sections in the southern part of the State which are not yet subdivided into townships. Counties are outlined in green, yellow and pink. Other geographical entities include towns, lakes, rivers, bays, and coastal islands.
The map highlights the progress of the surveys of the General Land Office in Florida, now nearly completed except in the wetlands and swamps in the Lake Okeechobee region.
Expansion of the Railroads between 1881 and 1883
There are no railroads in the southernmost part of the State, reaching only Orlando by 1881. In this edition of the map, the South Florida Railroad line has been extended from Orlando to Kissimmee. The railroad lines in Sumter and Marian Counties no appear, where none had existed in 1881.
A railroad line between Lake Harney and Titusville is now shown, with a branch line from Indian Mound to Salt Creek and Salt Lake, immediately north of the Desplain Grant.
A proposed railroad line between Daytona and Seville on Lake George is shown.
A large section of the St. Johns & Halifax railroad line between Ballstown (now East Palatka) and Garfield (now Ormond Beach) is shown, a portion of which to just beyond Yelvington is completed.
The railroad line between Jacksonville and St. Augustine is half completed. The railroad line between Jacksonville and Green Cove Springs on the west side of the St. John's River is recently completed, as is the line between Jacksonville and Nassau.
A proposed railroad line between Lake City and Gainesville is shown.
A railroad line is shown between Rolands Bluff and Live Oak.
By 1884, the same map will show the railroad reaching Tampa and is therefore not shown.
G. W. & C. B. Colton was a prominent family firm of mapmakers who were leaders in the American map trade in the nineteenth century. The business was founded by Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800-1893) who bought copyrights to existing maps and oversaw their production. By the 1850s, their output had expanded to include original maps, guidebooks, atlases, and railroad maps. Joseph was succeeded by his sons, George Woolworth (1827-1901) and Charles B. Colton (1831-1916). The firm was renamed G. W. & C. B. Colton as a result. George is thought responsible for their best-known work, the General Atlas, originally published under that title in 1857. In 1898, the brothers merged their business and the firm became Colton, Ohman, & Co., which operated until 1901, when August R. Ohman took on the business alone and dropped the Colton name.