Rare view of the area around Vicovaro, published during the Battle of February 1557.
The view shows Vicovaro from the west. Taken by the Duke of Alba, then Viceroy of Naples in 1556, the city was then under Spanish/Neopolitan control, with the the forces of Pope Paul IV attempting to retake the city in February 1557, resulting in the surrender of Spanish occupying force on February 14, 1557.
The partly walled, besieged town of Vicovaro, on the River Aniene (or Teverone), is surrounded by cavalry and infantry regiments; some are arranged in the typical square with pikemen in the center surrounded by soldiers with muskets. Several large cannon, probably the culverin and smaller cannon (falconets) can be seen.