Detailed map of the Northeastern part of Italy and western Slovenia, first published in 1561.
Rare anonymous map of Friuli, which has been attributed to Camocio because his name appears on the 1563 edition.
Cartographically, the map derives from the work of Gregorio Amaseo and Giovanni di Vavassore, with numerous changes to the coastlines, hydrography and toponymy.
- State 1: 1561 - 1561 date, proof state, without the wind rose
- State 2: 1561 - windrose added
- State 3: 1562 - (dated changed)
- State 4: 1562 - Island of Grado named (to the left of the compass rose).
- State 5: 1563 - (dated chaged)
- State 6: 1563 - with imprint of Giovanni Francesco Camocio
- State 7: 1563 - Camocio imprint abraided
- STate 8: 1563 - Camocio removed, Donatum Bertelli added.
The Lafreri School is a commonly used name for a group of mapmakers, engravers, and publishers who worked in Rome and Venice from ca. 1544 to 1585. The makers, who were loosely connected via business partnerships and collaborations, created maps that were then bound into composite atlases; the maps would be chosen based on the buyer or compiler’s interests. As the maps were initially published as separate-sheets, the style and size of maps included under the umbrella of the “School” differed widely. These differences can also be seen in the surviving Lafreri atlases, which have maps bound in with varying formats including as folded maps, maps with wide, trimmed, or added margins, smaller maps, etc.
The most famous mapmakers of the School included Giacomo Gastaldi and Paolo Forlani, among others. The School’s namesake, Antonio Lafreri, was a map and printseller. His 1572 catalog of his stock, entitled Indice Delle Tavole Moderne Di Geografia Della Maggior Parte Del Mondo, has a similar title to many of the composite atlases and thus his name became associated with the entire output of the larger group.