Finely executed map of Lombardia, published in Venice by Ferrando Bertelli.
The map is based upon a map published by Luchini in Rome in 1556, based upon a map by Luca Antonio de Huberti printed in Venice in 1520..
Lago de Garda and Lago de Como appear at the top, Venice in the Northeast and the course of the Po River from Casale Monferrato to the Adriatic, with Modena, Parma and Bolgona appearing south of the Po and Ravenna at the far southeast.
The Lafreri School is a commonly used name for a group of mapmakers, engravers, and publishers who worked in Rome and Venice from ca. 1544 to 1585. The makers, who were loosely connected via business partnerships and collaborations, created maps that were then bound into composite atlases; the maps would be chosen based on the buyer or compiler’s interests. As the maps were initially published as separate-sheets, the style and size of maps included under the umbrella of the “School” differed widely. These differences can also be seen in the surviving Lafreri atlases, which have maps bound in with varying formats including as folded maps, maps with wide, trimmed, or added margins, smaller maps, etc.
The most famous mapmakers of the School included Giacomo Gastaldi and Paolo Forlani, among others. The School’s namesake, Antonio Lafreri, was a map and printseller. His 1572 catalog of his stock, entitled Indice Delle Tavole Moderne Di Geografia Della Maggior Parte Del Mondo, has a similar title to many of the composite atlases and thus his name became associated with the entire output of the larger group.