First State of Forlani's Map of Eastern Europe
Fantastic and uncommon large mpa of the Danube and surrounding regions. The map stretches from the Adriatic Sea to the Black Sea, and it was published in Venice in 1566 by Paolo Forlani.
- Imprint reads: Paulo Forlani Veronese, intagliata l'Anno 1566
- Imprint changed to: Donato berteli formi. Alla libraria dil San Marco in Venetia.
- Date updated to 1593.
- Cartouche completely re-engraved. Reads: La Descritione della Transilvania et parte della Polonia et Ongaria. . .
The Lafreri School is a commonly used name for a group of mapmakers, engravers, and publishers who worked in Rome and Venice from ca. 1544 to 1585. The makers, who were loosely connected via business partnerships and collaborations, created maps that were then bound into composite atlases; the maps would be chosen based on the buyer or compiler’s interests. As the maps were initially published as separate-sheets, the style and size of maps included under the umbrella of the “School” differed widely. These differences can also be seen in the surviving Lafreri atlases, which have maps bound in with varying formats including as folded maps, maps with wide, trimmed, or added margins, smaller maps, etc.
The most famous mapmakers of the School included Giacomo Gastaldi and Paolo Forlani, among others. The School’s namesake, Antonio Lafreri, was a map and printseller. His 1572 catalog of his stock, entitled Indice Delle Tavole Moderne Di Geografia Della Maggior Parte Del Mondo, has a similar title to many of the composite atlases and thus his name became associated with the entire output of the larger group.
Paolo Forlani (fl. ca. 1560-1571) was a prolific map engraver based in Venice. All that is known of his life are his surviving maps and prints, of which there are almost 100 (185 with later states included in the total). He also produced a globe and two town books. It is likely he came from Verona and that he died in Venice in the mid-1570s, possibly of the plague.