Impressive early panoramic photograph of Balboa Beach, Newport Beach, looking southwest from Balboa Island, facing the newly-built Balboa Pavilion.
On the left of the view are the Laguna Coast highlands and the entrance to Newport Bay. At the center are the few houses and other buildings that then made up the community of Balboa Beach - the most prominent is the Balboa Pavilion, which was constructed in 1906. At the right is Bay Island with a small bridge connecting it to the Balboa Peninsula. There is a hint of the Pacific Ocean in the background. The photograph seems to have been taken in the vicinity of Topaz Avenue and South Bay Front.
Today, the Balboa Pavilion is miraculously still standing, and a website for the attraction summarizes its history thusly:
Newport Beach’s most famous landmark, the historic Balboa Pavilion, is one of California's last surviving examples of the great waterfront recreational pavilions from the turn of the century.
Established 100 years ago in 1906 by the Newport Bay Investment Company, the Pavilion played a prominent role in the development of Newport Beach as a seaside recreation area.
The photo was produced by the West Coast Art Co., which was a fairly prolific publisher of panoramic Western scenes from about 1909 to 1916 or later. The Library of Congress has substantial holdings of their photos, many of which focus on early oilfields (especially those in Los Angeles and Orange Counties), and later the company worked its way into Arizona and elsewhere.