Yale in 1933
Rare separately published view of Yale, published in New Haven in 1933.
Fine pictorial bird's-eye view of the Yale College Campus, drawn by Yale by alumni Allen Cramp Parrette ('30) and William Barrette Cram ('31).
The map coincides with the completion on September 25, 1933 of the "Quadrangle Plan," a cluster of residential student colleges around the central campus, but also provides an accounting of many of the historical buildings that had been torn down during the construction process, which began with in 1917, was first completed in 1921, then modified with the split of the Quadrangle into two residential colleges and expanded between 1928 and 1933.
These renovations were funded by Edward Harkness, whose financial contributions helped fund numerous buildings between 1917-31, including the Drama School, Pierson College, and Davenport College. The new residential colleges were designed after the English Universities of Oxford and Cambridge.
The map is embellished with an elaborate border showing the houses and heraldry of various fraternities at the school.
The artist, William Cram and Allen Parrette were architectural students at Yale and later formed an architectural practice together in Connecticut.
This map is very rare. We locate only the example at Yale.