A Rare San Antonio, Uvalde & Gulf Railroad Survival
Interesting map showing the southern part of Texas, illustrating the routes of the San Antonio, Uvalde & Gulf Railroad.
The map was included in an October 14, 1913 letter from George H. Winsor to J.G. Franklin of the Moklatex Stock Farm in Crystal City, Texas (between Uvalde and Carrizo Springs), which was apparently accompanied by an annual pass on the railroad line.
The map illustrates the routes of the railroad terminating in Uvalde, Carrizo Springs and Mathis Texas, with a proposed extension to Corpus Christi.
San Antonio, Uvalde & Gulf Railroad
As noted by the Texas State Historical Association Handbook of Texas
The San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad Company was chartered on April 19, 1909, as the Crystal City and Uvalde Railroad Company. The name was changed on April 4, 1912.
Between 1909 and 1911 the Crystal City and Uvalde had completed 120 miles of line between Uvalde and Carrizo Springs and from Crystal City to Fowlerton in LaSalle County. . . the railroad planned to extend its lines to San Antonio and Corpus Christi. . . On November 19, 1912, the company completed a line from San Antonio through Pleasanton to Fowlerton. . . The 117 miles between Pleasanton Junction and Corpus Christi opened at various dates between January 30, 1913, and February 28, 1914. However, the extensions did not strengthen the railroad, and it went into receivership on August 14, 1914.
. . . The New Orleans, Texas and Mexico Railway Company purchased the SAU&G for the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company on December 1, 1925. . .
The map is apparently unrecorded. We were unable to locate a copy in OCLC or elsewhere.