Fine large map of South Florida and the Caribbean, published at the end of the American Revolution.
The map provides an excellent large image of the region, at a time when it was the center of conflict between England, France & Spain, which would end with the Treaty of Paris in 1785. A key at the right identifies the colonial possessions of the Spanish, English, French, Dutch, and Danish.
The configuration for the south part of Florida is unusual, with a large upside-down anchor in the middle of the Florida Keys. Curiously, there seems to be only a single such anchor is shown on the entire map. The anchor appears on the Buache map of the Caribbean dated 1780.
We presume that Jos Awery is Joseph Avery. We note that Mondhare also produced a map of Minorque with the credit to Jos Awery.
Joseph Avery was a public surveyor active in Georgia from 1742 to 1744. In 1741, while resident in South Carolina, he was retained by the Trustee's of the newly formed Georgia Colony to create "a new Map of the North Part of Georgia," which he completed by early 1742, covering the area from Port Royal to St. Catherine's Inlet, the same region covered by Des Barres chart. Avery traveled to England to present the map to the Trustees, who were favorably impressed, commissioning him as public surveyor of the province of Georgia, with instructions to conduct a general survey or the rest of the province, work that he pursued until his death in 1744.
Joseph Avery's maps were not published until the Revolution when they were finally utilized by Des Barres for this chart.
The map is very rare. We locate one example, at the John Carter Brown Library.
This is the second time we have offered the map for sale.