Highly detailed map of the Northwestern United States, from a scarce edition of Colton's New General Atlas.
Early results of the General Land Office Surveys appear.
This map is one of the best regional maps of the period, showing remarkable Indian detail, early forts, explorer's routes, mining information and a wonderful look at the evolving geographical knowledge of the region. Following the end of the Civil War, this region was explored again in earnest, and with substantial new information being added north of the Wind River Range.
Many early Indian Reservations noted. Gold regions are noted.
A terrific early map, one of the few regional maps to appear in a commercial atlas.
G. W. & C. B. Colton was a prominent family firm of mapmakers who were leaders in the American map trade in the nineteenth century. The business was founded by Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800-1893) who bought copyrights to existing maps and oversaw their production. By the 1850s, their output had expanded to include original maps, guidebooks, atlases, and railroad maps. Joseph was succeeded by his sons, George Woolworth (1827-1901) and Charles B. Colton (1831-1916). The firm was renamed G. W. & C. B. Colton as a result. George is thought responsible for their best-known work, the General Atlas, originally published under that title in 1857. In 1898, the brothers merged their business and the firm became Colton, Ohman, & Co., which operated until 1901, when August R. Ohman took on the business alone and dropped the Colton name.