Teaching American Democracy In the 1950s
Entertaining school map illustrating the evolution of Democracy in America, from the Mayflower Compact to the Declaration of Independence.
The primary pillars of democracy, Religious Freedom, Educational Opportunity and Self-Government are shown at the top, with six historical milestones shown below:
- 1620 Mayflower Compact
- 1643 New England Confederation for Mutual Defense
- 1754 Albay Plan of Union
- 1774 Continental Congress
- 1774 Patrick Henry -- "Give me liberty or give me death!"
- 1776 Thomas Paine writes Common Sense
- 1776 Declaration of Independence
Edited by Francis L. Bacon and published in Chicago by the Denoyer-Geppert Company around 1953.