Attractive color-lithographed folding map of Idaho, drawn by Charles J. Helm for the U.S. GLO, issued in 1906.
This would seem to be a variant edition of the 1905 map, with specific data on townships definitely and probably containing coal. As such, it bears the facsimile signature of the Geologist-In-Charge, Economic Geology of Fuels.
Indian reservations, forest reserves, U.S. Land Offices, U.S. Surveyor-Generals' Offices, and various other details are marked on the map.
Photo-lithographed by Andrew B. Graham Co., of Washington, D.C.
The General Land Office (GLO) refers to the independent agency in the United States that was in charge of public domain lands. Created in 1812, it assumed the responsibilities for public domain lands from the United States Department of the Treasury. The Treasury had overseen the survey of the Northwest Territory, but as more area was added to the United States, a new agency was necessary to survey the new lands.
Eventually, the GLO would be responsible for the surveying, platting, and sale of the majority of the land west of the Mississippi, with the exception of Texas. When the Secretary of the Interior was created in 1849, the GLO was placed under its authority. Until the creation of the Forest Service in 1905, the GLO also managed forest lands that had been removed from public domain. In additional to managing the fees and sales of land, the GLO produced maps and plans of the areas and plots they surveyed. In 1946, the GLO merged with the United States Grazing Service to become the Bureau of Land Management.