Rare and finely colored town plan of Castel Sant'Angelo, published in London by John Luffman.
Constructed by the Emperor Hadrian, the map notes that it was taken by the French in 1798.
The castle was initially commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family. The building was later used by the popes as a fortress and castle, and is now a museum. The structure was once the tallest building in Rome.
The Luffman maps are very rare on the market. This is the first example of the map of Rome we have ever offered.