The First Atlas Map of the Rancho Santa Fe and Encinitas Area
The map provides a fine depiction of Rancho San Dieguito, shortly before it was formed into Rancho Santa Fe. It also shows the city of Cardiff, the lands of the San Diego Gun Club, and names the lands of dozens of other local landowners.
The vast majority of lands are identified with the names of the landowners.
In 1841, Rancho San Dieguito, as it was originally named, was a Mexican land grant of 8,824 acres (35.71 km2) from Governor Pío Pico of Alta California to Juan Maria Osuna, the first alcalde (mayor) of the Pueblo of San Diego.
In 1906, the Santa Fe Railway, a subsidiary of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway, purchased the entire land grant to plant a Blue gum eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus) tree plantation for use as railroad ties, but the wood proved too soft to hold railroad spikes. The railroad then formed the Santa Fe Land Improvement Company to develop a planned community of country estates, and 6,200 acres developed from the original Rancho San Dieguito land grant were renamed "Rancho Santa Fe" in 1922.
This map shows the lands that would become Rancho Santa Fe owned by the "Atchison, Topek & Santa Fe Ry. Co."
This is from W.E. Alexander's 1912 Plat Book of San Diego County, California published by the Pacific Plat Book Company of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
In over 25 years of business in San Diego, this is the first time we have offered the map for sale.