St. Helena at the Beginning of the 20th Century
Fine early map of St. Helena and vicinity, prepared for the city's Board of Trustee's by C.H. Wallace, Civil Engineer.
This is one of the earliest obtainable maps of the town of St. Helena. OCLC locates only the Sanborn-Perris maps of the 1880s and 1890s pre-dating this map.
The map extends north to the Napa River, west to the newly created York Creek Reservoir, where a dam had been constructed in 1900, at the site of the old St. Helena Waterworks.
The town of St. Helena has shown some expansion since the 1880s, with this map showing the subdivision of a number of the original blocks, as well as recent expansions east of Sulphur Springs Creek along the newly constructed Charter Oak Avenue.
The area around St. Helena began to take shape the 1860s, when the railroad arrived 1868, providing an important shipping nexus for fruit, grain, and mining products. New arrivals began planting vineyards and making wine in the 1860s. The wine industry began to thrive, encouraging more immigrants and more vineyards.
On March 24, 1876, St. Helena was incorporated as a town and by 1886 the population was 1,800.
The map is apparently unrecorded, although we have seen images in an historial report for the City of St. Helena suggesting that a copy of this map may reside in the collection of the St. Helena Historical Society.