The First Atlas Map of the Carlsbad / Aviara / Leucadia Area
Fine early map of area of the future Carlsbad and Leucadia, which was then Rancho Agua Hedionda and an area to the south on either side of Batiquitos Lagoon.
South of the Rancho, the lands are divided among earlier owners, including Clarence Dayton Hilton, the La Costa Land Company, A.H. Vail and Elizabeth Metcalf.
This is from W.E. Alexander's 1912 Plat Book of San Diego County, California published by the Pacific Plat Book Company of Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Rancho Agua Hedionda
Juan María Romouldo Marrón was involved in the early politics of San Diego in the early 1820s. He married Felipa Osuna (1809-), daughter of Juan María Osuna, the first alcalde of the pueblo of San Diego, and the grantee of Rancho San Dieguito. Juan María Marrón was granted the three square league Rancho Agua Hedionda in 1842.
With the cession of California to the United States following the Mexican-American War, the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo provided that the land grants would be honored. As required by the Land Act of 1851, a claim for Rancho Agua Hedionda was filed with the Public Land Commission in 1852, and the grant was patented to Juan María Marrón in 1872.
Juan Marrón died in 1853, and left Rancho Agua Hedionda to his widow and children. The heirs leased Rancho Agua Hedionda to Francis Hinton in 1860. Francis J. Hinton (1818–1870) was born Abraham T.E.D. Hornbeck in New York and came to California with the US Army forces occupying California following the Mexican–American War. He was a sergeant in the same unit as Lieutenant Cave Johnson Couts, who later to become the owner of Rancho Guajome. In 1860, Hinton acquired Rancho Agua Hedionda. Hinton, a bachelor, died in 1870, and left Rancho Agua Hedionda to his mayordomo Robert Kelly.
Robert Kelly (1825–1890) was a native of the Isle of Man who came to the United States with his family in 1841, and arrived in San Diego early in 1851. He was an ownership partner and mayordomo of Rancho Jamacha. After selling his interest in Rancho Jamacha in 1858, Kelly was a merchant in San Diego until in 1860, when he acquired Rancho Agua Hedionda. Kelly, also a bachelor, died in 1890, and left Rancho Agua Hedionda to the nine children of his older brother, Matthew Kelly.
In over 25 years of business in San Diego, this is the first time we have offered the map for sale.