Rare lithographed bird's eye view of the mining town of Republic, Michigan in the Upper Peninsula, published by J.J. Stoner of Madison, and lithographed by the famous Milwaukee firm of Beck & Pauli.
The view faces southeast over the town, which has not grown much (indeed it might have shrunk) since the view was made in 1881.
The village of Republic grew up around the Republic iron mine which first operated from 1872 to 1926.
First named Iron City, the name as changed to Republic by Mr Ed Breitung, the founder or the mine, in 1880. He named it Republic for "the land of the free and the home of the brave".
By 1890, the 3 Upper Peninsula Iron Ranges, Marquette, Menominee and Gogebic, were producing 7 million tons of iron ore a year and became the nation's major producer of iron ore. By the end of the century, the 3 ranges were shipping out 9 million tons per year.
No examples located in OCLC or elsewhere online.