Rare double page color printed image of "Prominent Places" in the San Diego area, which appeared in The WASP magazine.
The views include:
- Hotel Josephine (Coronado), with Coronado Railroad in the foreground
- Chadbourne's New Building (4th & C Street)
- San Diego Abstract Co. Building (4th & D Street) (now Broadway)
- The Florence Hotel
- Horton House and Park
- First National Bank (5th & E Street)
The Florence Hotel opened on January 24, 1884. It was located in Florence Heights on Fir Street between 3rd and 4th. It boasted of indoor plumbing and offered views overlooking the bay.
Delane & Reif, who apparently served as architects for Chadbourne's New Building, were active in San Diego between about 1887 and 1890.
The Wasp was an American weekly satirical magazine based in San Francisco.
With the following name changes, the magazine ran from August 5, 1876, to April 25, 1941:
- The Wasp, August 5, 1876 – January 20, 1877.
- The Illustrated Wasp, January 27 – September 22, 1877.
- The San Francisco Illustrated Wasp, September 29, 1877 – 1 December 1, 1880.
- The Wasp, December 17, 1880 – October 5, 1895.
- The Wasp: The Illustrated Weekly of the Pacific Coast, October 12, 1895 – April 3, 1897.
- The Wasp: A Journal of Illustration and Comment, April 10, 1897 – August 25, 1928.
- The Wasp News-Letter: A weekly Journal of Illustration and Comment, September 1, 1928 – July 27, 1935.
- San Francisco News- Letter Wasp, August 3, 1935 – April 25, 1941.
The Schmidt Lithography Company was based in San Francisco. Max Schmidt, a German immigrant, founded his first printing business in 1873, and he was one of the first printers to use lithography on the West Coast. His plant burned twice, in 1884 and 1886, but by the 1890s he ran a factory in San Francisco, as well as branches in Portland and Seattle.
During the 1906 earthquake and fire the company’s premises were destroyed again. Schmidt quickly acquired a nearby paper factory and production continued practically uninterrupted. Within two years of the fire, Schmidt had rebuilt on the site of his former factory at the corner of Second and Bryant Streets.
Schmidt’s company was best known for its printed labels, but they also produced other items like separately-issued prints. The company was once the largest printing company on the West Coast and today they are remembered for the clock tower that still stands at Second and Bryant Streets.