Rare double-page color-printed image of important places in the San Diego and Los Angeles area, which appeared in The WASP magazine.
The views include:
- The Burbank Villa Hotel 10 Miles from Los Angeles
- New-United States Hotel Los Angeles Cal.
- Commercial Hotel Santa Barbara Cal.
- New City Hall Los Angeles
- Carlsbad Hotel Ocean Beach & Mineral Wells San Diego
- New Hotel Tia Juana City Near San Diego Cal
- Coronado Helphingstine Land Office San Diego Cal.
The Wasp was an American weekly satirical magazine based in San Francisco.
With the following name changes, the magazine ran from August 5, 1876, to April 25, 1941:
- The Wasp, August 5, 1876 – January 20, 1877.
- The Illustrated Wasp, January 27 – September 22, 1877.
- The San Francisco Illustrated Wasp, September 29, 1877 – 1 December 1, 1880.
- The Wasp, December 17, 1880 – October 5, 1895.
- The Wasp: The Illustrated Weekly of the Pacific Coast, October 12, 1895 – April 3, 1897.
- The Wasp: A Journal of Illustration and Comment, April 10, 1897 – August 25, 1928.
- The Wasp News-Letter: A weekly Journal of Illustration and Comment, September 1, 1928 – July 27, 1935.
- San Francisco News- Letter Wasp, August 3, 1935 – April 25, 1941.
The Schmidt Lithography Company was based in San Francisco. Max Schmidt, a German immigrant, founded his first printing business in 1873, and he was one of the first printers to use lithography on the West Coast. His plant burned twice, in 1884 and 1886, but by the 1890s he ran a factory in San Francisco, as well as branches in Portland and Seattle.
During the 1906 earthquake and fire the company’s premises were destroyed again. Schmidt quickly acquired a nearby paper factory and production continued practically uninterrupted. Within two years of the fire, Schmidt had rebuilt on the site of his former factory at the corner of Second and Bryant Streets.
Schmidt’s company was best known for its printed labels, but they also produced other items like separately-issued prints. The company was once the largest printing company on the West Coast and today they are remembered for the clock tower that still stands at Second and Bryant Streets.