"Its Money Making Time Along the Gulf Coast of Texas"
Rare La-Ward Land and Immigration Company birdseye view map of the Texas Coast, published by Lucas and Davis of Houston.
A fine large promotional brochure and map, featuring numerous black and white photographs of the benefits of the Texas Coast, including beaches, agriculture and livestock. Lucas and Davis maintained a field office in Jackson County, Texas, according to the brochure, with the lands promoted by the company being just north of Matagorda Bay.
The company was actively promoted in the late 1920s, including in the Pensacola News Journal.
La Ward, Texas
The community began to grow in 1904 with the arrival of the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway.
Named for Lafayette Ward, a local person who became a leader in introducing Hereford, Brahman, and Jersey cattle to Texas, by 1914, La Ward had developed into a cattle and shipping center. The community had its own independent school district and an estimated population of 200 in 1940.