1857 Edition of Parker's Handbook to Minnesota, along with the Special Edition of Colton's Map, with "Corrections Furnished by N.H. Parker." This Example from the James J. Hill Library.
First and only edition of Parker's important early treatment of Minnesota Territory, along with his revision of Colton's map of the Territory.
The map is an important early map of Minnesota Territory, prior to the conception of the Dakota Territory. Minnesota is still dominated in the north and west by massive counties, including Lake, St. Louis, Itasca, and Pembina County, which shows as including most of North Dakota.
Pembina is North Dakota's earliest settlement and is across the Red River from Minnesota. It can be seen at the top of the present map.
The county configuration dates to 1856 before Isanti County was split from Ramsey County. According to the Newberry Library's Atlas of Historical County Boundaries, the large region in the southwest of the territory should be Brown County, however, Brown is given its own separate county in the southwest.
Earlier editions of the Colton show Doty County in the northeast of the state, which had been theoretically created from Itasca in 1855, but was very shortly thereafter renamed Newton, and almost immediately extinct in favor of St. Louis County, which is shown on this map. This may constitute the corrections that was furnished by Parker.
The map includes extensive annotations, especially in the West, including the proposed route of the Northern Pacific. Includes railroads, common roads, canals, villages, post offices, etc.
A great Minnesota Territory map.
G. W. & C. B. Colton was a prominent family firm of mapmakers who were leaders in the American map trade in the nineteenth century. Its founder, Joseph Hutchins Colton (1800-1893), was a Massachusetts native. Colton did not start in the map trade; rather, he worked in a general store from 1816 to 1829 and then as a night clerk at the United States Post Office in Hartford, Connecticut. By 1830, he was in New York City, where he set up his publishing business a year later.
The first printed item with his imprint is dated 1833, a reprint of S. Stiles & Company’s edition of David Burr’s map of the state of New York. He also printed John Disturnell’s map of New York City in 1833. Colton’s next cartographic venture was in 1835, when he acquired the rights to John Farmer’s seminal maps of Michigan and Wisconsin. Another early and important Colton work is his Topographical Map of the City and County of New York and the Adjacent Country (1836). In 1839, Colton began issuing the Western Tourist and Emigrant’s Guide, which was originally issued by J. Calvin Smith.
During this first decade, Colton did not have a resident map engraver; he relied upon copyrights purchased from other map makers, most often S. Stiles & Company, and later Stiles, Sherman & Smith. Smith was a charter member of the American Geographical and Statistical Society, as was John Disturnell. This connection would bear fruit for Colton during the early period in his career, helping him to acquire the rights to several important maps. By 1850, the Colton firm was one of the primary publishers of guidebooks and immigrant and railroad maps, known for the high-quality steel plate engravings with decorative borders and hand watercolors.
In 1846, Colton published Colton’s Map of the United States of America, British Possessions . . . his first venture into the wall map business. This work would be issued until 1884 and was the first of several successful wall maps issued by the firm, including collaborative works with D.G. Johnson. From the 1840s to 1855, the firm focused on the production of railroad maps. Later, it published a number of Civil War maps.
In 1855, Colton finally issued his first atlas, Colton’s Atlas of the World, issued in two volumes in 1855 and 1856. In 1857 the work was reduced to a single volume under the title of Colton’s General Atlas, which was published in largely the same format until 1888. It is in this work that George Woolworth (G. W.) Colton’s name appears for the first time.
Born in 1827 and lacking formal training as a mapmaker, G. W. joined his father’s business and would later help it to thrive. His brother Charles B. (C. B.) Colton would also join the firm. Beginning in 1859, the General Atlas gives credit to Johnson & Browning, a credit which disappears after 1860, when Johnson & Browning launched their own atlas venture, Johnson’s New Illustrated (Steel Plate) Family Atlas, which bears Colton’s name as the publisher in the 1860 and 1861 editions.
J.H. Colton also published a number of smaller atlases and school geographies, including his Atlas of America (1854-56), his Illustrated Cabinet Atlas (1859), Colton’s Condensed Cabinet Atlas of Descriptive Geography (1864) and Colton’s Quarto Atlas of the World (1865). From 1850 to the early 1890s, the firm also published several school atlases and pocket maps. The firm continued until the late 1890s, when it merged with a competitor and then ceased to trade under the name Colton.