The Ottoman Province of Syria
Scarce separately published map of Syria, published in London by John Wyld.
Published at a time when the region was under the control of the Ottoman Empire, "Modern and Ancient" Syria extends to the modern regions of Palestine, Israel, Gaza, Lebanon and part of Jordan.
The map provides a fine historical overview of the region, with historical placenames and data dating back nearly 3000 years to the Phoenician period.
A separate table includes the modern population of the region, including:
- Mahommedans (exclusive of Bedouins) -- 860,000
- Greeks of the Oriental Church -- 345,000
- Druses -- 186,000
- Jews -- 175,000
- Maronites -- 104,000
- Roman Catholics -- 98,000
- Anzarys -- 22,000
- Metwalis and Yezides -- 17,000
- Armenians -- 6,000
- Franks -- 4,000
James Wyld Sr. (1790-1836) was a British cartographer and one of Europe’s leading mapmakers. He made many contributions to cartography, including the introduction of lithography into map printing in 1812.
William Faden, another celebrated cartographer, passed down his mapmaking business to Wyld in 1823. The quality and quantity of Faden’s maps, combined with Wyld’s considerable skill, brought Wyld great prestige.
Wyld was named geographer to His Majesty George IV and William IV, as well as HRH the Duke of York. In 1825, he was elected an Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers. He was one of the founding members of the Royal Geographical Society in 1830. Also in 1830, his son, James Wyld Jr., took over his publishing house. Wyld Sr. died of overwork on October 14, 1836.
James Wyld Jr. (1812-87) was a renowned cartographer in his own right and he successfully carried on his father’s business. He gained the title of Geographer to the Queen and H.R.H. Prince Albert. Punch (1850) described him in humorous cartographic terms, “If Mr. Wyld’s brain should be ever discovered (we will be bound he has a Map of it inside his hat), we should like to have a peep at it, for we have a suspicion that the two hemispheres must be printed, varnished, and glazed, exactly like a pair of globes.”