This is a great 1950s map of Berkeley, showing the campus in detail as it stood at the time. Many dozens of buildings on campus are named, as well as some features from the surrounding neighborhood. The verso includes an extensive index of places on campus.
Berkeley was already nearly a century old when it was portrayed on the present map. The university was founded in 1869 and rebuilt according to a master plan starting in 1898. The university grew rapidly in the first half of the 20th century, making particularly notable advancements in the field of physics. By the 1940s the university would be recognized as one of the most prestigious in the country, second only to Harvard.
While the university has grown and changed over the past sixty years, the central part of the campus has remained, for the most part, the same. The stadium and radiation laboratory still overlook the main campus, with its winding paths and many buildings. Perhaps the most notable change are the many new names that have sprung up. While some early donors and important members of the university, such as Phoebe Apperson Hearst or Eugene Hilgard, are recognized, many buildings retain their functional names. Few buildings on the central campus retain their functional names, and donors now have to look off the main sight for buildings such as Residence Halls Unit 3.