This is an attractive early 19th-century map of Stockport, the southern Manchester suburb. The map is detailed, and an attractive vignette and compass rose are included.
The map shows Stockport extending from the confluence of the River Tame and the Mersey to the edge of Shaw Heath, focusing on what is now the city center. Hundreds of buildings can be discerned on the map, and adjacent fields are shown. Nearby townships are marked, including those of Heaton Norris, Brinnington, and Cheadle. An index labels twenty-two places of interest in the town, including nine churches, a grammar school, a bank, and a police station.
Stockport is, of course, famous for its long history of hatmakers and rope. This small formerly industrial town has now been conurbated by Manchester, and is at present an upper-middle-class suburb. The most recognizable structure in the city, the Stockport Viaduct, had not yet been constructed as of the creation of this map and would be in 1840.
The map was surveyed for Baine's Lancashire, a history, directory, and gazetteer of the county. The land was surveyed by R. Thornton and the work published by W. Wales and Company.