Vibrant vintage pictorial map of Illinois, focusing on historical scenes, natural beauty, economic activity, etc.
The map legend shows the site of the Lincoln-Douglas Debate and the Lincoln National Highway. It also labels fish hatcheries, state forests and nurseries, hunting grounds, fishing grounds, and game refuges and farms.
Below the title is a facsimile signature of then-Governor of Illinois Adlai Stevenson.
On the verso is a note on "The Purpose of this Pictorial Map":
This map is intended to depict the dramatic, historic and legendary events, and the great figures in Illinois history commemorated by Illinois State Parks and Memorials, and to portray some of the scenic beauties that are found in all sections of the State. Individual illustrations are shown as close to the actual locations of Parks or Memorials as possible but where numerous parks are located in the same vicinity, as in historic regions along the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers, illustrations have been shifted to permit adequate pictorial interpretations. Exact locations are given in the descriptions above, and the latest Illinois Official Highway Map should be consulted for touring directions.
Rand McNally & Co. is a large American map and navigation company best known for its annual atlases. The company got its start in 1856, when William Rand opened a print shop in Chicago. He was joined in 1858 by a new employee, Andrew McNally. Together, the men established their namesake company in 1868. Originally, the company was intended to print the tickets and timetables for the trains running to and through Chicago; their first railway guide was published in 1869.
By 1870, they had shifted from just printing to publishing directories, travel guides, and newspapers. Their first map appeared in 1872 in a railway guide. The map was produced using a new wax engraving method, a cheaper process that gave the company an edge.
By 1880 Rand McNally had entered the education market with globes, wall maps, and geography texts for students. In 1923, Rand McNally published the first Goode’s World Atlas, named after its editor, Dr. J. Paul Goode. For generations afterward, this would be the standard classroom atlas.
In 1899, William Rand left the company, but McNally and his family remained, controlling the company for over a century. In 1904, they published their first road map intended for automobiles and by 1907 were publishing Photo-Auto Guides, which combined photography and mapping to help drivers. In 1924, they produced the Auto Chum, a precursor to their famous road atlases. Rand McNally would remain the leader in road maps and atlases throughout the twentieth century.
In 1937, Rand McNally opened its first store in New York City. Ever on the frontier of technology, Rand McNally pioneered the scribing process for printing tickets in 1958 and printed their first full-color road atlas in 1960. Arthur Robinson developed his now-famous projection of Rand McNally in 1969. By the 1980s, the company was exploring digital reproduction and digital databases of maps for truckers. In the 1990s, they lead the charge to develop trip-planning software and websites. Today, most of its products are available online or in a digital format, including maps for tablets and phones.