Finely engraved map of the so-called Gradiska region, focusing on the small region around one of the largest concentration camps in Europe and the only World War II concentration camp not operated by Nazi forces. The map was published in 1811 as part of Demeter Görög's Magyar Atlas, a very rare collection of Hungarian, Croatian, and Slovenian maps.
The map is highly detailed and shows administrative boundaries, cities, towns, rivers, forests, and mountains. The map includes compass rose. Relief is shown by hachures. The area displayed is small, being only some fifteen miles long and six miles wide.
The rural region includes the towns of Novska, Gradiska, and Nova Gradiska, and straddles the Croatian-Bosnian border along the Sava River. Most notable on the map is the town of "Jaszenovacz" (Jasenovac), which is now infamous for its notoriously brutal concentration camp. Run by the Croatian-nationalist group Ustaša group, the group killed tens of thousands of Jews, Serbs, and Roma, and was the largest non-Nazi run camp and, at one point, the third-largest concentration camp in Europe.
The map is from Gorog's Magyar Atlas, the first modern atlas of Hungary prepared using modern surveys and methods. It was first issued incomplete with a title page in 1802, with the remaining sheets being issued over the course of the next 9 years between 1796-1811.