A San Diego Rarity
Extremely rare large format separately published map of San Diego, published by S.E. Hoffman & Co. in 1895.
The map includes a number of pencil and pen annotations, including:
- Florence Heights Add. No #2
- New $50,000 Hospital
- 12 lots in Blk 29 A & C addn 800.00 4/1/04 - $66 2/3 ea. - University Hgts are only $#0 -- W.H.W.
- Louis 5th Street Addition
- 4-1-04 Smith & Co. L.A. 50 x 100 Lo5t 12, Blk 14 Middletown 7 rm hs. $3,000
- Blk 165 (North Park) offered by Peck -Sunset Phone Exchange 7 - for #1400 cash 4-1-04
The map includes a note that it was acquired at "J. C. Packard's Book Store, 951 5th Street, San Diego, Cal. Jan. 1903 - cash 10¢"
We find no other maps referencing S.E. Hoffmann. "W.H.W." would seem to be the initials of the map owner.
The map is very rare. This is the first example we have ever seen offer for sale.
OCLC locates copies at Yale and the California State Library.