Detailed map of the Hyde Ranch Development, in the southeast part of Sonoma.
The area shown is immediately east of Sonoma Skypark and south of Vineburg. The map was likely utilized by a real estate agent to track lot sales.
Hyde Ranch was established by William H. Hyde, an early California gold rush immigrant and former member of the San Francisco Vigilance Committee. Hyde Ranch is a part of the former Rancho de Huichica. The property was acquired in 1873 and consisted of 620 acres near Vineburg, of which 160 acres were planted with for a vineyard.
The following description appeared in Santa Rosa The Press Democrat, October 4, 1944 at page 7.
Historic Land Near Sonoma Changes Hands
Land with titles dating back to October, 1841, changed hands recently when 207 acres of the Hyde ranch near Sonoma were sold to the Miglioretti Brothers for conversion to vineyards, according to announcement made by the Sonoma real-estate firm of Martin & Downey.
The ranch, adjoining the Miglioretti acreage at Buena Vista in Sonoma Valley, is part of the original Rancho de Huichica and was producing grapes as early as 1850, records show. Later it became part of the Buena Vista Viticultural Society, wine-producers before the turn of the century.
The new owners have expressed their intention of planting such grapes as Cabernet, Riesling, Traminer, Plnot Chardormay and Pinot Noir on their new holdings. First title to the ranch is recorded in the name of Manuel Jemeno, governor of California who sold it to Manuel Micheltoreno, a later governor. After passing through various transactions, the land became the property of William H. Hyde in 1873. His heirs made the recent sale to the Migliorettis.