America's Foreign Air Mail Routes in the Year Before it Entered World War II.
Attractive vintage map of the foreign routes of the US airmail service relevant to the United States, in December of 1940. At the time of creation, there were only a few foreign air mail routes:
- Grand Forks to Winnepeg
- Seattle-Ketchikan-Juneau-White Horse-Fairbanks
- San Francisco/Los Angeles-Honolulu-Midway-Wake-Guam-Manila-Hong Kong/Macao
- San Francisco/Los Angeles-Honolulu-Canton Island-Noumea (New Caledonia) - Auckland
- New York-Montreal
- New York-Botwood (Newfoundland), Foynes (Ireland)-Southampton (UK)
- New York-Horta (Azores)-Lisbon-Marseille
- New York-Bermuda
- Brownsville-Tampico-Mexico City-Central America, etc.
- Miami-Cienfuegos (Cuba)-Barranquilla (Colombia)
- Miami-Cristobal (Panama)
- Miami-San Juan-Port-of-Spain (Trinidad)
- Miami-Antilla (Cuba)-Port Au-Prince-etc.
The present example is dated December 1, 1940 and is extremely rare. We were unable to locate any other examples of the map.