"Edmonton Possesses The Finest Site of any City in the British Empire" -- Sir John Foster Frazer
Fine early plan of Edmonton, published in Edmonton by the Mundy Map Company.
The center of town is dominated by a large area noted as "Hudson Bay Company Reserve", including and Airport and Air Observer School, along with the yards of the Canadian National Railroad, Prince Rupert Golf Course, University of Alberta, Jesuit College, St. Johns College, Clark Stadium, Border Park Arena and Exhibition Grounds, Highlands Golf Course, Mayfair Golf Club, MacDonald Hotel, Rifle Range south of the Saskatchewan River.
The map includes advertising for the Hudson Bay Company and others at the bottom of the map. The map includes tourist information, with a note at the bottom center stating:
Edmonton is an ideal holiday resort, with beautiful surroundings, natural parks, and every facility for sport and recreation. Outdoor swimming pools and public golf courses are available to visitors.
Edmonton was incorporated in 1892 with a population of 700. By 1904, the population had grown to 8,350, and became the capital of Alberta when the province was formed on September 1, 1905.
In November 1905, the Canadian Northern Railway (CNR) arrived in Edmonton, accelerating growth.
During the early 1900s, Edmonton's rapid growth led to speculation in real estate. In 1912, Edmonton amalgamated with the City of Strathcona, south of the North Saskatchewan River; as a result, the city extended south of the North Saskatchewan River for the first time.
Just before World War I, the boom ended, and the city's population declined from more than 72,000 in 1914 to less than 54,000 only two years later. After the war, the city slowly recovered in population and economy during the 1920s and 1930s and took off again during and after World War II.
The Edmonton City Centre Airport opened in 1929, becoming Canada's first licensed airfield. Originally named Blatchford Field in honor of former mayor Kenny Blatchford, pioneering aviators such as Wilfrid R. "Wop" May and Max Ward used Blatchford Field as a major base for distributing mail, food, and medicine to Northern Canada; hence Edmonton's emergence as the "Gateway to the North".
Mundy Map Company
The Mundy Map Company was active in Alberta from 1910 to about 1952.
Dating The Map
We date the map based upon the listing of the Mayor as John Wesley Fry, who served from 1938 to 1945.
The map is rare. OCLC locates 1 copy (Edmonton Public Library -- no date given).