Rare Missionary map of China, showing the region from Shanghai in the north to Ningde.
The map illustrates the province of Tche-kiang. As noted by the text which accompanied the map, it was drawn up by the missionaries working in province, under the direction of Mgr Guierry, of the Congregation of Saint-Lazare, vicar apostolic.
Le Tché-kiang was first part of the apostolic vicariate of Kiang-si, created in 1839. In 1846 it became a separate vicariate. Archbishop Lavaissière, first apostolic vicar, was the leader until 1849. His successor was Bishop Danicourt, who was replaced by Bishop Delaplace in 1854. Finally, in 1870, Bishop Guierry was appointed vicar apostolic of Tché-kiang.