Detailed map of the Western part of Washington Territory.
Curiously, the title is erroneous and should read, west of the Cascade Mountains, not the Rocky Mountains, as did the 1857 edition of this map.
The map extends south to the Columbia River and includes and "unexplored" region in the northern Cascades. Includes excellent topographical detail, including mountains, elevations, rivers, lakes and the results of early surveying work in the west.
Near Ft. Nisqually at the south end of the Puget Sound, a note shows lands "Claimed by the Puget Sound Ag.'l Co.).
The map also includes a very early reference to "Seatle".
Puget Sound Agricultural Company
The Puget Sound Agricultural Company (PSAC) was a subsidiary joint stock company formed in 1840 by the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC). Its stations operated within the Pacific Northwest, in the HBC administrative division of the Columbia Department.
The primary company operations were centered at Fort Nisqually and Cowlitz Farm. At Fort Nisqually (near present-day Olympia, Washington) due to poor soil, the station focused on pastoral operations, including flocks of sheep for wool, cattle herds for beef and cheese manufacturing. Cowlitz Farm was the company's primary center of agricultural production. The company also operated many large farms in the area of Fort Victoria on Vancouver Island.