Fine double hemisphere map of the World, published by John Senex in London.
A beautiful large scale map of the world, surrounded by text from some of the leading scientists of the day.
- Top left: "The Theory of the Tides from Sr. Isaac Newton's Phil. Nat. Pinc. Math"
- Top right "An attempt to assign the Physical cause of the Trade Winds and Monsoons by Dr. Ed. Halley"
- Bottom center, "An attempt to assign the Physical cause of the Trade Winds and Monsoons by Dr. Ed. Halley."
Within the map itself are additional observations. This map was first issued in 1711 by John Senex and his partner John Maxwell. At that time California was shown as an island, on this version it is shown correctly as a peninsula, but with nothing to the north besides the supposed Straights of Annan and a note stating that "These parts are not yet discovered…" Australia is shown connected to New Guinea and a small portion of New Zealand shown.
This map was updated and issued until c.1750. A handsome and informative map.
The map includes the following dedication:
To the Right Honourable Richard Boyle, Earl of Burlington and Cork, Viscount Dungarvan, Baron Clifford of Lansborough and Baron Boyle of Youghail. This Map is Dedicated by his Most Obedient & Most Humble Servts. Iohn Senex
In this edition, the name John Maxwell erased from plate but still faintly visible.
John Senex (1678-1740) was one of the foremost mapmakers in England in the early eighteenth century. He was also a surveyor, globemaker, and geographer. As a young man, he was apprenticed to Robert Clavell, a bookseller. He worked with several mapmakers over the course of his career, including Jeremiah Seller and Charles Price. In 1728, Senex was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society, a rarity for mapmakers. The Fellowship reflects his career-long association as engraver to the Society and publisher of maps by Edmund Halley, among other luminaries. He is best known for his English Atlas (1714), which remained in print until the 1760s. After his death in 1740 his widow, Mary, carried on the business until 1755. Thereafter, his stock was acquired by William Herbert and Robert Sayer (maps) and James Ferguson (globes).