Fine birdseye view of Lewisburgh, Pennsylvania, published by O.H. Bailey in 1884.
The view shows the city from the East, across the Susquehanna River, with Buffalo Creek at the far right (north).
Along the bottom of the view are smaller vignettes showing:
- Interior of J.W. Shaffer's Clothing Store and Tailoring Establishment
- Lewisburgh Woolen Mills
- P. Billmeyer & Co. Builders of Canal Boats & Barges . . . .
- Residence of J.W. Shaffer
- Interior View of C.A. Sturgis's Jewlery Store
Lewisburg was founded in 1785 by Ludwig Derr, who purchased several tracts of land from the Penn family and other neighboring land owners, the largest of which was known as "The Prescott". Derr befriended the local Native Americans of the area and while other local settlers' homesteads were routinely sacked by Native Americans, Derr's lands remained free from attacks. Subsequently, in 1784, he worked with Samuel Weiser to lay out his combined land tracts, and create Derrstown. The name was later formally changed to Lewisburgh in 1855, however the US Postal records show that the post office was named Lewisburgh when it was established in 1796.
A mystery surrounding Lewisburg is the disappearance of its founder Ludwig Derr. After selling several lots of land, Derr set off for Philadelphia to sell additional lots. Shortly after arriving, records indicate some of his lots had sold. However, Ludwig Derr simply disappears. Derr's son George went to Philadelphia to search for his father, but returned a short time later, unsuccessful in his search.
Lewisburg has been a center of commerce in Union County. The West Branch Susquehanna River was used for logging and shipping. Prior to, and during, the Civil War, many abolitionists lived in the area, and several locations within the town of Lewisburg served as stopping points on the famous Underground Railroad.